Here's a quick guide to prepare for your retreat, including notes on what to bring, what's provided, weather, travel tips, important dates and restaurant recommendations.
What to Pack
Packing clothes for this trip can be tricky. On one hand, you can pack light because you can do laundry at the retreat and because Hatteras Island has a laid-back dress code. Go for comfort. On the other hand, with the various activities throughout the week, you're likely to wear different types of clothing to best suit where you are and what you're doing:
- Comfy clothes, for yogaing, meditating and lounging
- Spring attire, for sunny, spring weather, temp could be mid 60s
- Bundle-up clothes, for chilly, winter weather, temp could be 40s to 50s
- Outdoor wear, for walks and hopefully yoga on the beach (i.e. hoodie, jacket, etc.)
- Bathing suit (hot tub)
- Walking shoes
- Flip-flops or slip-ons
- Socks, or slippers, for inside
- Optional: Hat, sunblock, shawl
- A water bottle
- Meaningful items for your room and/or for our practice space (i.e. small mementos, keepsakes, memorials, etc.)
- Money for dinner on Village Night
- Space to take a few retreat items home with you, including your workbook (a 1/2" binder)
- Optional: Yoga towel, strap, book
- Bath towels
- Beach/hot tub towel
- A small library of yoga, philosophy, self-help and island books from my collection as well as the Bonzer Beach House guest library
- Yoga props (blankets, bolsters, blocks, mat)
- Read What's Included for the whole shebang
Spring is almost here
During our week together, the sun will be rising around 7 and setting 12 hours later. As winter on the island comes to a close and we transition seasons, we can expect a range of temperatures, winds, swells and tides during the span of your retreat. I look forward to joining forces with you and enjoying the wild & serene beauty together. Check out the weather forecast and tide schedule below for a closer look.
Safe travels to you, as you're traveling from either Eastern NC, South Carolina, California or New York. Here are a few things to be aware of as you make your way down the island to Hatteras Village:
- Drive the speed limit.
- When you're first turning onto NC-12 South, the speed limit is 55 mph.
- Slow down through the villages. Passing on the right is prohibited.
- There's a lot of deer on the island. Stay alert.
- Puddles are a no-wake zone, proceed through any water on the road slowly.
- New Moon
- Check-in begins at 10
- First full day
- Spring Equinox / First day of spring
- Special guest in the evening
- Special guest in the morning
- Village Night - Dinner's on you
- Special guests in the evening
- Closing celebration
- Check out no later than 9 am